Dogs and Chocolate

pet_fence1A dog can not stand chocolate because it contains theobromine formerly known as xantheose , which is toxic alkaloid for domestic animals.
Dark chocolate contains more theobromine than milk chocolate or cocoa powder. White chocolate containing no cocoa is not toxic.
some breeds are more susceptible than others:
The breeds known as “brachycephalic” that have flattened snout (boxer, pug, bulldog, etc.) are more susceptible to poisoning. These breeds are also more susceptible to respiratory and heart problems there is certainly a link with the action of theobromine.
symptoms appear a few hours after ingestion of chocolate, they will be more or less significant depending on the dose ingested .
Death can be quick in this case 6 to 24 hours, and if the dog regularly eats chocolate in small doses, the risk of developing heart failure by accumulation of the effects of theobromine.

digestive symptoms:

Theobromine provokes a dog stomach irritation with an increased secretion of gastric juices.
The dog may then have digestive disorders such as vomiting or diarrhea.
In the long term, increased gastric secretions can give a stomach ulcer.
This is what can happen if the dose is not too high … but if it is larger, theobromine enters the bloodstream and causes the nervous and cardiac signs.

Nervous symptoms:
The dog is nervous, agitated and it may have tremors.
The dog may also have seizures, go into a coma and die if the dose is high enough.
cardiac symptoms:
Theobromine causes heart rhythm disturbances. The pace quickens or tachycardia and abnormal contractions occur . If these abnormal contractions are too often the heart may become stuck and the dog dies.Dogs and Chocolate
Other symptoms:
The dog may have a change in his breathing, he will pant, falter.
Theobromine also has a diuretic effect and therefore the dog will drink and urinate more than usual.

What to do ?

There is no antidote. The vet will treat the symptoms.
The prognosis for survival after a great chocolate ingestion depends on the speed at which the animal is seen by a veterinarian.
You need to go quickly to the vet when your dog has eaten chocolate. (If your veterinarian office is closed you can always call him personally as there’s no time to waste in this case. )
Do not give milk or water.
The vet will therefore try to limit the absorption of theobromine in the body, and if the cardiac and nervous symptoms are already present,the physician will know how to handle it. Theobromine is poorly eliminated in the dog, the dog’s supervision after poisoning will be quite long.